Wednesday, March 12, 2014

More on Creation and Women's Day



A Student-Friend Writes about The Creation Story Posted on International Women's Day...
I Reflect...
...And Another Student-Friend Adds Her thoughts...

It always put a smile on my face whenever you told us about that story where God created Adam first and then realized that he made a mistake and then made Eve. I always had a good laugh about that and just thinking about it now, I'm laughing to myself about it. I'm laughing not out of lack of respect or anything, but because it's an interesting interpretation of what happened. When I first heard you say it, I remember getting really defensive about it and trying to think of a way to disprove you and I couldn't. You have an absolutely valid train of thought and naturally, you're entitled to it. 
Here's a thought for you though that I recently came across that I would love to see what you have to say about it. 
In short, in the Bible, it said that it was Eve who was tempted by the devil and ate the apple first and then she tempted Adam into eating the apple. So, following your same train of thought, I could argue that Eve couldn't resist evil. When she finally gave in to the devil, she then realized her mistake and tried to bring Adam down with her. In more generalized terms, women can't resist temptation and will make the first mistake and then go to the men asking for their help to fix the problem. Should there be no solution, the women will bring the men down with them because they can't hone up to having made a mistake. 

I want to clarify this. I'm not trying to degrade women in any way. I just remember being frustrated about not having an answer for you before so now that I finally found an equally valid argument, I wanted you to hear it so you so see the other end of the spectrum. This argument is obviously hugely in favor of males while your argument is hugely in favor of females. The truth lies somewhere in between and I'm sure you recognize that as well as I do.


On another note, all those quotes are obviously in favor of women and anybody could find similar quotes in favor of males. One quote that really got my attention was the quote by Marilyn Monroe which said "Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition." This really is a great quote, not just in terms of genders, but in all situations. By women always comparing themselves to men and what men get, they are basically saying that men are like the golden standard and that everyone should strive to be like them. That's completely wrong. We have our strengths but we definitely have a lot of weaknesses and the same with women. People should be happy with who they truly are rather than trying to change who they are to conform to some standard because there is no standard. Everybody is different so how could there possibly be a standard for everybody? In more generalized terms, stop looking at others and what or who they are. Stop comparing yourself to others because you're only making them look better. Take the time to think about who you truly are and what you want to do with your life and follow through with that.
                              ***
I waited a long time, years, for a challenge to the Creation Story and my interpretation of it...

In telling the story in my own way, my intention was to motivate the ladies in my classes and outside, everywhere, that they can do as much as the boys. But as my friend points out, achieving what the boys achieve should not be a criteria. After all, different gender will differ in their goals and performances...I wholeheartedly agree with him.

But the major flaw of my Creation Story is that I am applying TEMPORAL values to DIVINITY.
We definitely become better in what we are doing by practice and repetition. That definitely is not the case with God...
After all, God does not need practice to achieve perfect results...
The concept of practice is a human trait; that is we learn through practice...
The concept of divinity lies in perfection...So practice is irrelevant in that case.
So Adam and Eve are created equal and with different potentials...

On International Women's day...Let us join our efforts and form a harmonious community...Society.
Love each other. Help each other...and make ALL dreams come true.
Help each other and act together...Act as a group and change the world for the better...
The world needs YOU...
                                                                            ***
My thoughts...(a student-friend)
Since we are getting into the whole gender topic, I feel like adding some things. Being a female, I am neither defending nor supporting my own gender because males are as equally important. 
I believe the two sexes were created equal in their importance, just for different purposes. No sex is more evil or more superior than the other, the two just have different tasks.
Take a look at the female body. It is more gentle, sensitive, and cuddly. The arms of a female seem like they are made to comfort, love and raise children and family. The hips of a woman were made larger to create life and shelter. Because the female pelvis is flatter, more rounded and proportionally larger, the head of the fetus may pass during childbirth. Many females may argue that women are superior because of their ability to give birth. However, this process cannot be done without a male. Females have enlarged breasts, so that they may nurture and take care of the children. 
Now take a look at the male body. The arms of a man seem like they are created to protect and work. The shoulders are more broad allowing them to inhale more air to supply their muscles with oxygen to be able to work harder and withstand physical challenges. They have a different body shape which allows them to have a higher pain threshold. They can protect their children and also love their family with those strong arms by embracing them. They are larger in height at often times so that they can help guide the way and see further. 

Many people may call my thinking old fashioned, but it is just simply the facts.
The two are interconnected and one without the other would not survive. A person is not defined by their sex. Being a male or a female doesn't make one more evil. The purity and goodness of a person comes from their soul, an immaterial entity, not their genitals, a physical entity. God does not love one gender more than the other. He loves them both equally so much that He gave them life. God does not love a saint more than He does a sinner. He loves them both, however, God wants the sinner to change, repent, and forgive. How can God forgive us for our mistakes if we cannot forgive others for theirs?

No comments:

Post a Comment