Saturday, January 11, 2014

STOP THE ABUSE



I viewed Swan Lake ballet yesterday.
I enjoy it. The swans are lovely and the music heavenly.
A Russian composer and Ukrainian dancers (Kiev) is a wonderful combination.
Russian and Ukrainian combination is always magical. I love it....
But when I attend ballet, I cannot liberate myself from the one fact that always has bothered me. Actually, that is why I try to avoid attending ballet...
The Question: Why the female dancers are on their toes and the males are flat footed...?
Why ballerinas have to dance on their toes, even if it bleeds? Why the males dance comfortably - flat footed?
I enjoy the ballet, but it always instigates me to wonder...and wonder I did.
Male dominated society has always been hard on women. Discrimination is everywhere...Our society is based on it. Few examples:
1. Why at an official gathering, a celebration of sorts, women have to dress exposing shoulders and their back and if they are daring enough cleavages...? On the other hand, men are dressed is suites and ties which covers all their ugliness!
2. Why women will wear make-up? Why they have to paint their faces and lips and colour their hair and men will just be comfortable in their natural state?
3. It has always puzzled me; why the chefs in the restaurants are predominantly male and the home kitchen is dominated by women?
We may extend the list at infinitum, but these examples will suffice to make the point.
                                                         ***

Women are denied education in some countries. Women are prohibited to drive cars in some countries. Judges are quite comfortable with rape cases and most of the time these cases are dismissed. Police are reluctant to lay charges against male athletes who gang rape female cheerleaders. School administrators, principals, vice-principles are disinclined to admonish male students who harass females, spread gossip and demean their female friends and by doing that they debase themselves too.
Lads, boys in high schools/universities, men in society have to change the social norms and protect their female counterparts - friends, sisters, mothers.
The governing mantra should be: the abused females are mothers and sisters....of someone.
Will any of these male hooligans tolerate the abuse to their mother and sisters?
                                                           ***
The adult world is corrupt.
The kids in high school and universities and workplace in general have the divine duty to change their behavour and also the societal values and norms.
I will be very ashamed and sadden and depressed to learn that teachers and administrators whom I have known are tolerant to such abuses.
But above all I will be very wretched and miserable to learn that students whom I love and respect are abusing their female friends for sexual gratification.
Administrators - Principals, Vice-Principals avoid making waves. No one wants to rock the boat... They wallow in the comfort, even if that will hurt a young female student.
Teachers are full of themselves – Know-it-all mediocrities, oblivious to the reality and forfeiting their mission to educate.  After all, education means heralding change and not upholding the status quo.
The only ones left are you, the YOUNGER GENERATION. You have to change the society for the better. The change starts with you...metamorphose yourselves into better beings and also change your surrounding – the school hallways and the cafs and the gyms.
Do not abuse your female friends.
If you are part of it, then halt it....If your friend is part of it, admonish him so as he will think and change his attitude.
Your penis should not be the guide... Your brain must lead you.
If your friends gang up, stand up to be counted.
As an educator I always advocated change... CHANGE yourselves and change societal norms...FOR THE BETTER.
This is your duty...trusted in you by GOD...

2 comments:

  1. A little outdated on my part, but I remembered reading about your makeup comment when I found this:
    http://blog.mariobadescu.com/the-history-of-makeup-infographic/

    and thought it interesting that men in ancient Egypt and renaissance France started wearing makeup, but it was a dying fad for them.

    Perhaps women continued the trend because they thought that most of their power came from their sexuality (as feminine power in any other form was strongly repressed).

    In fact, England banned lipstick in the 1770's because "women found guilty of seducing men into matrimony by a cosmetic means could be tried for witchcraft." (pubs.acs.org) ... They accused women of witchcraft simply because men could be easily seduced and lost their upper hand when faced by a "beautiful" woman. Isn't that pathetic?

    Nowadays, girls make excuses like "I wear makeup for myself; it boosts my confidence and I get better treatment. Screw the guys." Even I find myself thinking like this... quite often. We have unconsciously rationalized the way we present ourselves (makeup, revealing clothes) as a means of "boosting our self-confidence". But it really does the opposite. And this one example shows why gender equality still has a long way to go in our society; because the women are unconsciously rooting for the other team.

    It seems absurd, but the world is absurd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have reminded us of sad historical realities.
    Women were burned because men were frail. People always attempt to rationalize their weaknesses and as you stress "absurd" condition.
    I always knew that you have all that it takes to be a wonderful community leader.
    Your insight is right on and the historical notes are educational.
    Dare to fly higher and even higher...That's why God endowed you with unlimited potential and logical reasoning.
    Respond to the call and participate in the blog often.
    Share your knowledge and covert your potential to kinetic dynamism.

    ReplyDelete