Changing Generations...
A student relates his experience...and I am very happy that the World is my classroom now...
And a last advice from me...Remember:
Teaching is learning...If teachers do not learn, then they will never be able to teach...
....And Kamil Klos writes...his experience...
It was in my third year of my undergrad when I began thinking about becoming a teacher. I was majoring in Physics with minors in math and statistics (at the time). I thought to myself that that is what I wanted to do after I finished my bachelor degree. With my girlfriend’s advice and influence I made a concrete decision to become a teacher. First, I had to find out how to apply and where to apply… Which my registrar’s office, the people who are supposed to know and share with you, did not know. The whole process was frustrating just as it began.
It was in my third year of my undergrad when I began thinking about becoming a teacher. I was majoring in Physics with minors in math and statistics (at the time). I thought to myself that that is what I wanted to do after I finished my bachelor degree. With my girlfriend’s advice and influence I made a concrete decision to become a teacher. First, I had to find out how to apply and where to apply… Which my registrar’s office, the people who are supposed to know and share with you, did not know. The whole process was frustrating just as it began.
I began thinking about becoming a teacher
Through the numerous trips downtown I finally found out what I needed to do in order to be considered for admission into teacher’s college(s). The basic criteria is as follows for most schools:
· Have a B average
· Have volunteer experience working with children (in a classroom or program, the experience had to show a continuity so you have to volunteer at a specific place for a long period of time not just for couple months and you’re done thinking you just need the name of the place and reference)
· Filling out a portfolio and making a resume (portfolio is based on experience which prepared you for becoming a teacher and is based from the volunteer experience you have)
· Not be a criminal … :P
As such, I began volunteering at my school’s healthy sexuality centre (UTM SEC). This place is about healthy sexuality and counseling for students who have different questions and need to ask those questions confidentially. In truth, not many students came to this centre apart from picking up protection… at least they were being safe…
Also, I thought of where to get my “classroom experience”, the natural choice was to
go back to Pocock and see if any teachers remembered me.
After talking to Mr. T, the then principal of the school, I went straight upstairs to the third floor where I snuck into room 319. I approached a familiar figure sitting at his desk (possibly writing an email) barricaded by desks covered with the ever present foliage of various flowers, textbooks and most importantly art and pictures of his past students.
After talking to Mr. T, the then principal of the school, I went straight upstairs to the third floor where I snuck into room 319. I approached a familiar figure sitting at his desk (possibly writing an email) barricaded by desks covered with the ever present foliage of various flowers, textbooks and most importantly art and pictures of his past students.
Mr. Kevork greeted me with a huge smile and without hesitation said “Yes” to me volunteering with him. He also asked if I wanted to start the same day! I felt a relief of stress as I had found my placement and was ready to being gaining experience to fill my portfolio. I was accompanied by my girlfriend who was studying French, to whom Mr. Kevork proposed to teach the math class all in French! Jokingly or not, had she said yes the students would be learning math in French.. DEAL WITH IT :P
Michael Dudash - The
Master Teacher
In this momentous meeting, Jesus relays the parable of the four
stewards and the talents that they were entrusted to ...
The next step in the application process was the application itself which included the portfolio. I remember trying to answer questions like “what have you learned in experience A) that prepared you to become a teacher” in 150 words…. How can I explain that in 150 words… After creating my portfolio, and with the help of references from Mr. Kevork and one of my physics professors I submitted my application and began the hoping/waiting/praying stage, on top of trying to finish my courses and graduate from my current program.
In the previous semester after barely passing statistics I decided to change my statistics minor to a history of religions minor. Best choice ever. Not only was it helping my average (somehow I’m good at writing essays?????) but it was also very interesting to learn about other religions as well as the history of all those religions.
I strongly advise future university students to diversify their studies to get the most out of their undergrad program before venturing onto other programs and careers.
In the meantime, Mr. Kevork retired from teaching (at school) and Ms. M took over his AP and calculus classes for the next semester. Along with Mr. Kevork, Ms. M helped me a great deal by allowing me to stay on as a volunteer with her classes.
The day came where I found out if I had been accepted into any programs… I was flatly denied from 2/3 and waitlisted at one… With a B average and years of volunteer experience not to mention references from an extremely experienced teacher and the head undergrad physics advisor… To this day I am still on the waitlist at the last school (which is the one that I want to go to).
The message read that I have passed all the requirements for the program but there is no place for me… So if I did everything right, I still can’t get in? Why not just say that there are people with a 4.0 average (A or A+) and we prefer them to you because their grade signifies how well they will teach.
I was mad, sad and stressful. I practically gave up and began thinking I would go back after graduating with my bachelor of science to upgrade my minors to a major meanwhile I prepare a new application for next year… That is when my girlfriend made me apply to another school just to try and make something happen now. And so we rushed together an application and this time with the aid of Ms. M, who provided me a fresh reference, sent it out and once again hoped and waited. Fast forward past a couple of weeks and while watching Star Wars Episode 3: The Revenge of the Sith, for the 1*** time, (hate it or love it it’s Star Wars…) I got a phone call from the university to which I applied with this newest application. It was just an automated message that they had received my application….
After I completed my exams I was beginning to lose hope once again. It was too long ,,, they’re just going to tell me no etc etc. And then, yesterday morning, meanwhile I was playing some FIFA career mode, my cellphone buzzed to life. The whole week and half we were having problems with internet at home so I was surprised when I got an email on my phone.
Congratulations! You have been accepted into the Bachelor of Professional Studies program in Teacher Education …..University for Fall 2014. …..
The End!
What I learned from this is what Mr. Kevork tried to teach all his students.
It is not about the numbers and the grades. School is important for developing a sense of respect and responsibility as well as building character. Life is about how you treat yourself and others and about the people you share your life with. In the beginning of the application process I was doing what I had to do because it said so on a piece of paper, during the process I learned many things about myself and others, about how the politics and system work. Most importantly I learned that being selfless and also accepting help from others will aid you in achieving your goals. It is not about being the best and having the best marks. Sure if I had an A average I would have been accepted into my 1st choice school but this goes to show you that those with the A and not nearly as much experience as myself (for example) are given priority in the application processes. This is a perfect example of the politics of the system and most likely others systems as well. Who is to say that the person with A can become a greater teacher than me? Maybe so, I just don’t see what my grade in Quantum Mechanics has to do with teaching F=ma in grade 11 physics (hypothetically). The experience I gain in 319 is invaluable compared to the Heisenberg Uncertainty principle and my understanding of it when it comes to me being a capable and respectful teacher providing quality education to my future students…
I am grateful for the opportunity and experience gained from students of 319, Ms. M and Mr. Kevork. I would not be writing this without their help and without the belief and support from my girlfriend and my family who were there for moral support confidence.
THANK YOU
Kamil Klos
Kamil Klos




No comments:
Post a Comment