Monday, June 30, 2014

1968 - PEACE and PROSPERITY to ALL



Time to Use the "Social Media" ... for Change...and for 
 Global PEACE...

In 1968, then I was younger and the world was in revolt...(see below)...People, youth,  all over the globe were asking for PEACE, freedom and happiness...
I was part of the youth movement...in Europe and in Canada too.., and I grew up demanding PEACE and PROSPERITY for ALL...
When I was teaching I promoted PEACE and PROSPERITY for all too...I had posted religious icons and the sign of peace on my desk in our workroom...         
One day when I was working on the computer, the Department Head barged in yelling...
" Damn the peaceniks..."
"Blessed are the peacemakers...", the Bible says I replied...
Then,
A younger teacher, very "religious", was hired to work with us...One day he pointed to my desk and asked..."why you have those on your desk...?" 
He was pointing to the PEACE symbols...
"Do you know what they mean...?"; I asked...thinking that he is one of those North Americans who do not know much about the world...they live in...
"It's communism..."; he replied.
I felt sorry for him and his religious devotion disintegrated into "fascism" in my mind...In fact, when we were talking and he was not around I and mr. Oaks, the chaplain and my friend, referred to him as the "fascist" dogmatic "teacher"...What a pity...to degrade teachers calling with these people...

Last Christmas, when it was public knowledge that I will retire from teaching, one of my students gave me a mug...with PEACE written over it...


1968 was a Year to remember...

The youth of the world was in revolt and the system was in panic...
I do not remember the student who brought that gift, but that peace mug is with me now and I use it ALL day for my coffee and tea...
What a lovely gift...Thank you...to ALL the students who were part of my life...Thank you for the peace mug...
Now it is your turn to work harder and have the vision to change the world and promote GLOBAL PEACE and PROSPERITY for ALL...
                                                                            ***

And now...Check 1968...Below...

1. The PEACE Movement in the U.S. and Canada
The Anti-Vietnam War Peace Movement in the U.S. and Canada, in fact all over the world, was shattering ALL the myths of the state...The Big Brother and the 1% were relying on brutal force to subdue student and youth protests on the campuses of U.S. and Canadian universities...
Students and youth were demanding PEACE...and happiness for ALL...

U.S. troops in Vietnam...It's not "fun"... !
War is not a game...and there is no such thing as "war theater" as they call the battlefields nowadays...
The war jargon of the rulers is insultig to the intelligence of the population...
Vietnamese kids running from the U.S. bombings horrified and screaming...
This iconic photo was a rallying cry... in the War...
Thousands and thousands of students, youth and Americans and Canadians demanded an end to the war and demanded PEACE....


2) The Prague Spring and the Invasion of Czechoslovakia
The Soviets and Allies invade Czechoslovakia...and stifle the Prague Spring...
The Czechoslovak people had initiated social and economic reforms ... The apparatchiks of the Stalinist states of the Soviet Union and their Warsaw Pact allies... could not tolerate ANY challenges to their iron fist rule...So they invaded Czechoslovakia... The tanks smothered the aspirations of the people and choked in its bud the student-youth global vision of PEACE and FREEDOM and HAPPINESS for all...


Soviets in Prague...with their tanks...

People demonstrating for FREEDOM and GLOBAL PEACE
Youth and students demonstrating for Peace...Just like their U.S. and Canadian counterparts and visionaries...

3) The Student-Youth Revolt in France..
It galvanized Europeans ALL over the continent...from The United Kingdom to the mainland and the Soviet Union...

The French workers and students were just demanding liberté, égalité, fraternité ... again   

Just like in U.S. and Canada and Czeckoslavakia...The French students and youth were demanding PEACE and Happiness.
...and just like everywhere else...The people were confronted by brutal force of the Big brother...
***
....And now it is the turn ALL my younger friends...
Enjoy the World Cup...
Enjoy your "social media"...and use it ...for
GLOBAL PEACE...

No comments:

Post a Comment