Two Young Friends Chat with Me...and I hope,
The dialogues will flourish into polylogues...
Sometimes it does...At times miracles happen...and at times even the blind will see and the mute will talk...
I KNOW THAT EVERYTHING IS POSSIBLE...and I always hope for the rose-raining-dawn...
I am sure it will happen...I am sure it will rain rose and I am sure people will live in harmony...and the schools will herald the rose-raining-dawn...
All this will happen...I am sure of it...Because I believe in ALL of you...
Hi Sir,
I hope you're doing
well. I'm sorry that I haven't written to you in so long. I am constantly
reading the blog and learning something new every post but l don't know why I
never ended up writing to you.
Anyways, I'll be
honest and say that I don't know much about the happenings in Tiananmen Square
besides there being a large massacre of protestors. I knew about how the Jews
were distinguished and later persecuted by seeing if the males were circumcised
or not but I had no clue that the reverse happened in Turkey with regards to
the Muslims and Christian Armenians. It is so depressing to hear that things
like this happened in the past and even more so that they continue to happen in
the present. This has got me thinking lately and I think the reason for this
has to be education, or rather lack of education. The youth of today are the
future of tomorrow and that's where the focus has to be because it's when kids
are young that they develop the most. That's the most likely chance to shape
their minds to improve this world and promote peace and unity.
Here's where I'm
going with this. Throughout elementary and high school, we always had history
courses and religion courses. I'm a very religious person praying every day and
going to mass every Sunday, but in my honest opinion, the religion courses we
took throughout high school were rather useless. Back in my parents' time,
their religion classes were purely about prayers and acting respectfully and
responsibly and the religion class was nowhere near the 75 minutes classes are
now. Nowadays, we never learned any new prayers in those courses. They were all
focussed on self reflection and stuff like that. Don't get me wrong, self
reflection is important if you want to become a better person or improve at
anything but that's not something we needed a paid teacher sitting there giving
us assignments, or even worse, make us watch a movie and write about it.
Everybody reflects a different way yet we were forced to write and draw about
it. I personally hated doing that. Whenever I had any free and quiet time, I
would always be reflect on what I had done recently and ways to improve myself
and others around me. Some days, I had no free time. Other days, I had hours of
free time a day. I didn't need a teacher to give me an assignment and force me
to write something within the confined walls of the classroom. It really
restricts your freedom and imagination being forced to sit down and write and
you've said that a million times yourself. Somebody can be having a bad day(s)
yet there is no accommodation for that. The worst part of it all is that we
would get marked on these self reflections.
My question then is why continue with this method? Just in high school, we had 4 mandatory religion courses and 1 mandatory history course, with the opportunity for more as an elective. Yet after having 4 years of religion courses, the only useful religion course was the world religions course because we actually learned something new about all the different cultures and then had a trip to the various religious places of those religions to experience that culture. The other 3 years were completely useless. In that 1 history course, we learned about the 2 world wars. Why wouldn't we have learned about these wars back in elementary school like it used be a decade or two ago? Why did we have to spend all of elementary school learning about how Ontario and Quebec used to fight? We could have easily learned everything I just mentioned in just elementary school leaving high school for new, more complicated topics.
Here's what would have been a much better use of our time in high school and it would have benefitted the whole world altogether. We should spend more time learning about what happened in the world over the past 50 years, or even just the past 10-20 years. By it being more recent, there would have been more interest in it. It would have had a much greater effect on us. It could be anything from wars like the Rwandan Genocide or the Balkan war, both in the late 20th century, to the Sumgait Pogrom like you mentioned. Even if we didn't go into detail, just knowing what happened where and when would have been so beneficial rather than telling us that the world is perfect like they teach us. I would have suggested spending just a week or two on one specific happening for only half the time of the religion class and it would have had a much greater spiritual effect on all of us, especially if we touched upon things that happened throughout the whole world. In a multiculturally diverse society such as Canada, learning a bit more about everybody's roots, where they come from and what they or their family have been through would go a long way to forging stronger relationships, benefiting society as a whole. Even if this just started in Canada, it would eventually spread throughout the world, especially with the use of today's social media and internet.
Few days ago, in a group, we were talking about general
knowledge, after a “Jeopardy” game…that we watched on the TV, and I admitted
that most of my knowledge of history and geography and world religions and
classics came from my high school years … I knew the 100 Years War, the 30 Years
War, Unification of Germany, Unification of Italy and basically all European
history. I learned the Middle East inside out…Because the Mediterranean is the
basin of World Civilization and birth of World Culture…
When I immigrated to North America I was surprised about the
apathy towards learning and the lack of interest in literature and religion,
history and geography…It made me smile always when I attended the “trials” in
philosophy class…They were extremely superficial and negated everything that
philosophy stands for…that is, questioning the veracity of everything, the
meaning of human existence, and religion and… These “trials” were more pomp and
ceremony rather than philosophy…Where the teachers felt good about themselves
and where students do not learn to challenge the very core of the value system…where
students must rehash the teacher and regurgitate the book…and where they are
sorely missing the learning experience. …When
students roamed the hallways and asked; “Sir, what is truth?” or “What is reality?”…
I was amused…I wanted to say…“There is no truth” or “reality does not exist”…But
I was careful and dismissed them most of the time…so as not to antagonize the teachers…so
as to avoid trouble…so as to remain in my part of the school with my math and
Gregorian Chants…
Dear young friend,
I agree with most of your assertions…In order to teach, the teachers
must arouse the curiosity of the kids, fire up their imagination and assure
them that “there are no limits…” and in order to learn, we must be ready to
question and to challenge and to destruct and construct…and restructure and
remodel…Not just admire whatever already exists…
Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel initiated Hegelian Dialectic
The best way to learn is to follow Hegelian dialectic…with
thesis-antithesis-synthesis… Debate in a civilized way and come to a better
comprehension and better understanding of the nature of things and synthesizing
for the moment in order to initiate a new rung of thesis-antithesis-synthesis… and this methodology will ultimately lead to
questioning-challenging-learning…and arriving at a higher truth…
Listen and heed to Socrates
Socrates insisted that
through questions and answers we will arrive at knowledge…Now we call this the
Socratic method…But in our high schools essentially we treat the kids as empty
bags…through the years we dump into the bags some facts…and eventually get
satisfied that the bag is full enough and …celebrated the graduation of the
bags…
Your assertions are to the point and relevant…But
unfortunately I could not make a dent on the system …I could not change their
ways … I alienated myself in my attempts to change…I made tones of non-friends
and very few, I should say – only ONE, friend…Ross was one of a kind and he
understood me…He understood the system and the need of the kids -students… He
wanted to challenge and wanted to rebuild…but he was alone and at times he was
scarred and withdrew in the cocoon of the Chapel…
Ross Oakes ...The Chaplain and my only friend...at my last post
I want to write and say so many things…memories and facts are
crowding my brain and my thoughts are becoming incoherent, may be non sequitur too…But let me mention in passing…When I
studied English Literature (four-years-honour) I had a course where King James
Bible was a required reading…and I read it…all Western culture and literature
is based on it…flows from it…But none of the English Departments that I have
seen has any reading of the Bible as the basis of their department and their
existence…
“Hereby perceive we the love of God,
because he laid down his life for us: and we ought to lay down our lives for
the brethren.” 1 John 3:16
Once an AP Calculus student wanted to study and write AP
Economics Exams…He talked to me and I suggested that he approach his economics
teacher…The economics teacher refused to adopt and encourage him…He returned to
me…and besieged me to help him…I did. He studied Macro and Micro AP Economies
and I helped him in his progress since I have an Economics Degree too from
university…And surprise, surprise! He did better in Economics than he did in
Calculus… I wanted to help…I wanted him to be challenged…I wanted him to soar…and
I was not going to trim his wings and halt his flight…I was a teacher and I
assumed that it is my duty…Despite the fact that I was the Calculus teacher and
not involved in Economics…But I could not allow myself the luxury of
not-helping-him…I could not forfeit my calling…
Adam Smith and the "Invisible hand"
The English Department in my last school initiated AP English when I initiated AP Calculus. They folded it up after ONE semester. The reason…? “It is too much work…,” they said…!
The English Department in my last school initiated AP English when I initiated AP Calculus. They folded it up after ONE semester. The reason…? “It is too much work…,” they said…!
- Once I got tired and bored of teaching AP Calculus…I suggested to one of my senior teachers to teach the course…He agreed…I gave him the graphing calculator, the books and all relevant material to be prepared during the summer…The very next day he came to me and said …“I don’t want to do it. It is too much work...” And, as long as there was demand in our department for AP Math…I got stuck with it…I did not mind the load…It was a sweet burden…and an opportunity to engage the young kids…to dream and to imagine and ask for more…
I hope you, my young friend, and people like you will be able
to do better than I and my generation did…I hope you will be more successful
where we failed…
And recently another student wrote:
Hey Sir,
Lately I haven't
been trying to improve in my habits like doing my homework more often and
studying, but I've been having a hard time. I feel like the reason behind these
troubles is my lack of drive. I know what I should be doing but I find it
really difficult to either get up and do what I'm supposed to do or continue to
do it. In all honesty it makes me pretty worried and scared because if I don't
fix my problem then I don't feel like I will be able to attain my goals. I'm
not too sure what to do to fix it and I was wondering if you have any ideas or
advice.
All of the
rambling above is a partial answer to your question…But there is more … I think
you are lacking in motivation because your imagination is not “fired” up and
your teachers and parents have allowed you to drift … The teachers told you
that you are a bag and almost full to graduate and your parents told you that
you are very smart and you can do all and you got conceited because of that…and
now you are drifting and not certain how to repair things…You are having “a hard time” because of your “lack of drive”…
This lack of drive comes from the system and the teachers and the parents too … I am not sure what their expectations are, but I have noticed that you are very much interested in arts and music…and I am guessing that parental expectations and your aspirations are in huge conflict…I am assuming that you do not want to study what your parents…expect you to… and here the system(the school) and the teachers come into play…
This lack of drive comes from the system and the teachers and the parents too … I am not sure what their expectations are, but I have noticed that you are very much interested in arts and music…and I am guessing that parental expectations and your aspirations are in huge conflict…I am assuming that you do not want to study what your parents…expect you to… and here the system(the school) and the teachers come into play…
The system
failed you…and the teachers did nothing to flare up your imagination…So you
forgot that “everything is possible” and that “there are no limits…”
Suggestions…
·
Go with your heart…Do whatever you like to do…Follow
and study your passion. I am not sure what that will be, but I suspect that
art, literature and music will be a part of it…
·
Take your time and during the summer lull think
things over…and do not be afraid and ashamed of following your heart…
·
To get back to studying requires discipline…So
allocate few hours a day and follow that regime. A daily routine is very
important. Set some time…3 hours or so…and everyday force yourself to engage in
that routine…till it becomes a pattern and till you redeem yourself from the apathy
of the moment…
My dear young
friend,
I know that you
are wise and intelligent. Its only few days left…You can do it…For few days
force yourself…and tell yourself that you are doing all that for YOURSELF…and
you are definitely worth it…
I am proud of
you and I know that you can do it…
Once this is
over…look things over and re-evaluate the situation during the summer months
and decide for yourself what to study later in higher education, in university …Fire
up yourself to your passion…and remember always that “there are no limits…”
that your imagination is the horizon…Go for the rainbow on the horizon of your
imagination and you passion will provide the rest…
Only your imagination will hinder your flight....Soar and enjoy the horizon
All the best…and
keep in touch if you have time.




No comments:
Post a Comment