Friday, June 20, 2014

My LAST AP Calculus Class


My Last AP Calculus Class and the Classroom...

My classroom...I recognize the wall and the symbols and the messages...I recognize ALL of you...The classroom has changed. It had to change and reflect "new" realities... After all, I am not there any more...The classroom should reflect the teachers and their message...

My Last AP Calculus Class...

Soon you will change too...of course for the better...I have no doubt about it...
You will soar high and higher and learn more and lead all...The community looks up to you and I am sure you will not disappoint them...I recognize the signs... It say; "There are no limits"...Indeed there are not...The only limit is your imagination...
I have told you that "God created you, all of you, good. Thus God expects you to do good..." As AP kids you are given much by God and your parents...So we expect MUCH from you.
Two years ago, I looked into your eyes and noticed the smile on your face. At that time I knew that you will be the last class...and I was happy that you looked as smart as all the rest...The previous APs have done good...and I realized at the time that you will do good and not renege on your promise...You will soar high and you will lead the communities...that you live in...
But you have to mature more and you have to get rid of some of the childish traits that are still with you...
1. Do not be selfish and egocentric...
What you achieve is very important, but that is not an end in itself... You learn more and you achieve more so as to better yourself and better help other less fortunate... 
The world does not start with you...rotate around you and end with you...The world is much larger than you and you have to put yourself in the service of humankind...
2. Also remember that you can achieve much more when you cooperate and work collectively... So you will work hard as an individual, but always will act as a group...The GROUP is very important and will yield better results...
Individualistic approaches are deficient and also people who cannot see beyond themselves are not likable individuals...
***
I retired at Christmas - almost after the first semester. 
I retired to spend more time with my family and be closer to them...
So I left the AP class and the rest and joined my family...
My Daughter and I....This last Sunday...on father's Day

My daughter took me to LACMA  for Father's Day...LACMA is a museum in Los Angeles...
The yard and entrance to LACMA...

... and we saw an art exhibit...It was beautiful...I have always admired Van Gogh and if anyone has been into my classroom, I had the Starry Night posted high on the wall...


Exhibit in LACMA....We visited on father's Day...
***
My students were beautiful...
So I retired from one beautiful setting to another...
From a confining classroom to a liberating world - a classroom without walls...
From a smart group of students to a smart and cozy family...
From love to more love...
From individual hugs of the students to group hug of my family...
***
Now it is the turn of the graduates....Soar high...and higher...Never stop...but always think of the others and lift them up with you...
Share ALL that you have with the others...The more you give, the more humane you will be...The more you share, the better person you will be...
My Last Advanced Placement Calculus Class...After their final exam...but one is missing...

I wanted to come to your graduation and congratulate you...But as you realize one of the students is missing from the group photo and it has pained me...
After I retired things happened...Things always happen... You are still young kids and "young" things happen... 
After all, you are young kids and young kids do "young" things which they may regret in their adult life..But, young you are and you will dare the devil and do "young" things...That's why you are at school ... to be led and to be taught and to be cuddled ... Older adults - teachers and admin, must show you the way for a better future...
Adults are not in the temples of education to find fault and to punish...
Adults, teachers and admin alike, are there to lead and to teach ... to be compassionate and caring...
BUT,
Admin...and teachers...instead of leading you out of the situation and making what happened a "teachable moment" wallowed in partisan politics and did whatever suits them best...Not because that is the best way to deal with the situation...
And because of that I feel not welcomed...

But I will make a deal with you...
Next year one of you will graduate and I will make my best to be there for him and for you...
You will be out of the kiddy corner...and you will have a year of university in you...and thus more mature...
I will meet you somewhere more suitable and less confining...We will gather together and celebrate in more freedom and liberty...We will talk the way we want and say what we want...
...And that is a promise...We will do it...
Better things will happen...

But remember what I have told you before..."You are endowed with much, so God expects much from you...." and I know for sure that you will not disappoint all of us...

God Bless you ALL ... and CONGRATULATIONS...
You were my last AP Class...and I am PROUD of ALL of you (including the missing kid)...

H.K.


No comments:

Post a Comment