Monday, January 27, 2014

Ford and Bieber and More


Couple of Notes

For more than a year Mayor Ford is parading as a buffoon and creating worldwide sensation. Drugs, swearing and sexist behaviour demeans him and us all. After all, we expect human attitude from human beings....Especially when they are in positions of leadership – in government, in schools and universities, in society in general.
And now this Bieber kid is making headlines...he is too young and still thinks money gives him license to do anything and everything.
I wrote before that power is a corrupting factor...And here are two prime examples of corruption and stupidity.
Now, both are attempting to use this as publicity stunt...to be reelected or to sell more albums.
How come stupidity has become ticket for publicity?
But I remember the student who was very proud that he resembles a famous British singer. While we were having a discussion in class he uploaded the picture on his phone and came to my desk to show it to me. I did not know the singer, but indeed there was a resemblance. He is an aspiring engineer with a resemblance to a British singer. I know him...He is a GOOD student and will do GOOD things in life. I don’t know the singer...I hope he does good things in life too.
Once one of the teachers mocked me...”You do not know who Justin Bieber is...?”
At the time I did not, but I know him now. He is a young teen who thinks money is able to act as a fig leaf to cover his stupid actions; who thinks that he is allowed to do everything and anything because he has money.
That teacher who mocked me is still teaching...and I have retired from the four imprisoning walls. I hope she will do GOOD. I hope her students will learn from her.
I hope students will not be treated as empty bags where you fill in “knowledge” and they write EQAO and they write tests and they write exams and when the level of knowledge is at a certain height they graduate...
I hope students are taught how to think for themselves and pursue love, liberty and happiness. I hope students are taught to seek the truth and appreciate higher values. It is written: "You shall know the truth and the truth will make you
free." 
The truth and thinking are revolutionary... Truth is the goal and thinking is the path to achieve it. Only rebels will follow that trail.
My student-friend may resemble a singer; my colleague may mock me for superficial acquaintances. Both make me apprehensive and Ford and Bieber are not helpful at all.
Schools are saturated with stunts and superficial pop culture. They try to imitate Biebers and the like... Activities like “School Idols” do nothing to enhance the intellectual growth of students. The fun activities at the beginning of university years, do not prepare anyone for the hard reality ahead...
The leaders betray us and the institutions cater to mediocrity...
So you are on your own...and it is your choice.
Do not follow the elders...they have exposed their greed and betrayed you.
Do not follow the Biebers...they are the “hallway kids” and not worth to imitate, even if you resemble one.
We are created as intelligent and good individuals.
The expectation is that we act like one.

I hope we do...I know you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment