Tuesday, January 14, 2014

From High School to University

A former student writes...



My University [York University] Experience So Far...
Pocock offered a cocoon of sorts where students were nurtured and protected. We developed a strong foundation for our future. Teachers and coaches helped us develop intellectually, athletically, spiritually, and emotionally with continued support from our parents. University was and continues to be very different from this comfort zone.
While diversity at university offers many unique opportunities for interaction, it also creates divisions and some sources of tension. While people maintain their opinions, it is challenging to get through courses in which professors force their way of thinking and beliefs on students. While some professors are good, some are not.
My three years thus far, have led to academic success, with a GPA of 8.0, but it has come with much stress. Being organized and managing time are important. Having a day off, if possible, is especially helpful to recuperate. Listening to profs for three hours every week has taken its toll. Some courses are pointless, the only thing being learned is one's tolerance of boredom, others, you realize that professors seemingly do not know how to enter marks appropriately, taking its toll on student's final grades, and teaching assistants (TAs) who believe they are superior to the profs and mark assignments unfairly. While I thought my program, Social Science, was the path I thought was for me, upon taking courses so regimented and dictated by administration, there has not been much opportunity to take courses just for intellectual curiosity or interest.
Course selection is difficult to avoid scheduling conflicts and take needed courses. Bureaucracy and stupidity riddle many departments, with varying answers and responses to questions from people that one wonders how they were hired. Out of the experience I am reminded of who I am, and the strength, courage, faith, love and hope that is necessary to grow, that has sadly been attempted to be quashed and destroyed by the institution that prides itself in education. I encourage all students to remember who they are and a quote by St. Francis de Sales "Be who you are and be that well." Enjoy high school. They were the best years of my life thus far. I reminisce about them and hope I can offer a similar opportunity for students in the future when I am a high school teacher. Believe in yourself because at university no one else will, as you are treated like a customer and only valued for the tuition you pay.
Appreciate your family and true friends because you will then learn who is there for you to help you grow.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment