Monday, February 10, 2014

Follow Einstein And Fly With S.P.














“Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.”
Students are good.
They are talented.
Our task is to nurture their talents and encourage them to soar and fly higher and higher…And engrave in their minds that indeed there are no limits.
Now,
If this poem is submitted in a class assignment…It will be marked. The mark will imprison the spirit of the poem and confine it into a number.
On what that number is based? I am unwilling to speculate…
Without the number tagged to it the poem is so much more beautiful…and priceless.
In this month of Black History...Be proud of your culture...Remember: that the beauty is in our diversity...and our group hug...
***

A quote from Einstein which was displayed on a poster in front of my classroom is very appropriate…
“Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.”
***

Hey,


I am not Indian,


or Pakistani but rather Sri Lankan.


I do not have a pet elephant,


or roam around riding camels all day.


My name is not a mouthful,


Or as long as a short story;


As you may think it may be.





Brampton is not the capital of Sri Lanka,


it is Colombo.


It’s a beautiful country imaging


the shape of a mango.


Coastal people enjoyed fishing,


while upcountry people produced the world famous tea.


Tourists flood the country to have a piece of our gemstone.





I do not have an accent,


even if I did it wouldn’t determine who I am.


I do not speak Hindi, Telugu, or Malayam


but rather French, English and Tamil.


I said Tamil, not camel, TAMIL!





Sri Lanka is a ravishing island nation!


Described by Arthur C.Clark


as “A pearl of the Indian Ocean!”


This pearl island is best known for


favourable spices, astonishing gems


and sweet soothing tea varieties.


A famous tourist destination.


My name is Stéphani,


And I am a proud Sri Lankan!

S.P.
                                                                                                     



No comments:

Post a Comment