Friday, April 25, 2014

My Wanderings...in the Wilderness


My Reflections...

Yesterday, the commemoration of the Armenian Genocide was a solemn day and a day for reflection for me.                                 
I reflected on my years of struggle and teaching the truth...I did my best to expose hypocrisy and teach the students to be true to themselves and to others. I wanted the students to grow up and be counted...in the struggle to eliminate human beings brutality against others...
Did I succeed...? I do not know...
Would I have done anything differently...? No...!  

It is of fundamental importance to have respect for each other. As I have often emphasized, there are many realities...and to discriminate against one is to deny their rightful place in this world.
Through the years I have witnessed group after group of students walk the hallways and disrupt classes for a class assignment...They ask..."Sir, what is reality...?" The assignment is wonderful...the way it is conducted is disruptive... But the essential pursuit is to realize and tolerate the human diversity...And why not celebrate it...

We are different, but we are One...
There is no single truth... and there is no single reality... Everything is how we perceive things around us. We have to realize that ALL, and absolutely all, is relative and in evolution and in flux...
There was a time, not in that distant past, when alcoholic drinks were prohibited in the U.S. Now there are not... At the time that alcohol was prohibited, it was a crime to have booze...Now binge drinking in universities is as common as textbooks... 

Things change and yesterday’s criminal activities shift...But there are certain human values that remain...Such a tenet is; “Thou shall not kill.” And again, I will emphasize, there are no ifs or buts attached to it...There are no adjectives qualifying it...It is an absolute...and defies our relativist logic... 
It is sad that humans are reluctant to comprehend this very simple and straightforward commandment...Peace on Earth is your choice...and it will never be a gift from wherever....
So,

Work for peace and ban the wars...LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOUR as you love yourself...
H.K.

No comments:

Post a Comment