Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Patrick, his Success and his Poem


Patrick, a former student of mine, sent the note below and the beautiful poem.
All the best Patrick...Way to go...I am sure you will achieve more successes... 

Hello Mr. Kevork,
 
Exciting news: I passed my licensing exam! I just received the letter in the mail today. I am officially a licensed Medical Laboratory Technologist. 
 
I went on two interviews last week for positions in biochemistry and haematology at the hospital. Hopefully at least one of the two pan out. 
 
I have attached my first poem for you. I have recently taken up the hobby of entomology, originating from a class I took on a whim in Forensic Entomology. Catching and identifying insects has been something of a therapeutic distraction and I have come to look forward to the arrival of the insects each summer. My boyfriend and I make regular outings each year and I thoroughly enjoy each moment. I hope you enjoy the poem.
 
I hope to write a note for the blog about my experiences with bullying, as I saw a post recently on the topic. Sharing these experiences exposes bullying and takes away the taboo that I know I as a student felt existed. If you have not already seen the documentary Bully, I highly recommend it. It is an emotional experience and I feel it really gives insight into how much of a role educators play. 
 
I think you may also enjoy this photo-blog: 
http://www.humansofnewyork.com/
Living in Toronto now, I feel many of the residents dehumanize each other or rather classify each other, usually based on what is seen at face-value (homeless men and women I think is a good example). Reading these photo-blog shows just how human everyone is and how these strangers we pass on a regular basis have experiences and lives and stories all of their own. It is easy to dismiss and compartmentalize the faces we pass, but doing so leaves no room to empathize, to grow ourselves or to expand our perspectives. It is a rich and fantastic read, if you feel the urge to sift through the photos.
 
I shall send you more soon. Thank you for blogging,

Bugs

I bugged a boy to take a net
To run with me and break a sweat
Swiping wild and failing tries
Chasing emerald damselflies.

I bugged a boy to hunt with me,
Through tall reeds and up high trees,
Stealthy crawls, stalking our prey
Catching Pelecinidae.

I bugged a boy to wade the creek,
Through green water ankle deep,
Slimy rocks, testing our fate
Seeking larval Odonates.

I bug this boy to catch me these
Though I hope that he does see
While they’re rare, they are no match
For he is my greatest catch.

Patrick,
Thank you for the note and the New York photo-essay. Both are fabulous…   Thank you for sharing pieces of your life. I am sure you and your boyfriend enjoy the Summer and nature…I love the “Bugs” and I love your honesty and courage…Your poems are beautiful and you are one of a kind…


I admire you and remember your smile and healthy laugh…and I am sure...the best is yet to come…

No comments:

Post a Comment